This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

What is the benefit of NetMassDownloader over just getting the source off microsoft

May 31, 2010 at 9:27 PM

What I mean is

if you go here :

http://referencesource.microsoft.com/netframework.aspx

you get a list of available reference source:

Available Source Code Components

Product Name Version View Download
.NET 8.0 View EULA Download
dotnetfx1434_VistaWin2k8sp1 50727.1434 View EULA
FXUpdate3074 50727.3074 View EULA
ASP.NET_MVC 1.0 View EULA Download
WCF 3.5SP1 View EULA Download
WF 3.5SP1 View EULA Download
.Net 4 Beta2 View EULA
Dotnetfx_Vista_SP2 50727.4016 View EULA Download
Dotnetfx_Win7_3.5.1 3.5.1 View EULA Download
.Net 4 RC View EULA
ASP.NET_MVC 2.0 View EULA Download
.Net 4 View EULA Download
.NET_3.5_sp1_redist 50727.3053 View EULA Download

So, you've got what (to me) looks like the same thing that you'd get from using NetMassDownloader.

The original "mission statement "of NetMassDownloader: "...While it’s great that Microsoft has released the .NET Reference Source Code, you can only get it one file at a time while you’re debugging. If you’d like to batch download it for reading or to populate the cache, you’d have to write a program that instantiated and called each method in the Framework Class Library. Fortunately, .NET Mass Downloader comes to the rescue!"

But it is avaliable all at once --- am I missing the point here?

Coordinator
May 31, 2010 at 11:14 PM
The point was, they released the sourcecode in downloadable format a lot later then the orginal release and netmassdownloader was written about 21 days later they released the .net framework sourcecode, which was the only available tool to get whole of it.

Jun 1, 2010 at 9:48 AM

OK thanks, I see that.  Does that mean there is no real point using netmassdownloader if you are just starting out with experimenting with reference source use?  Or is there still a benefit to using netmassdownloader?