This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

The source file is different from when the module was built.

Feb 8, 2008 at 9:05 AM
Hi,
Until now I'm not able to get it working. I'm a VS2005 user. Here are the steps I took:
1) I downloaded the source and pdb's using the following command: NetMassDownloader.exe -d "c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727" -output "G:\dotnetcache" -vsver 8.0
2) In the Solution (7 projects) properties: Common Properies --> Debug Source Files: I added G:\dotnetcache.
Now the entries in the list which are (from top to bottom):
- G:\dotnetcache
- F:\Programs\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\crt\src
- F:\Programs\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\atlmfc\src\mfc
- F:\Programs\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\atlmfc\src\atl
- F:\Programs\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\atlmfc\include
- F:\
I clicked Apply... OK...
3) Then in the VS2005 menu: Tools --> Options --> Debugging --> Symbols --> I added "G:\dotnetcache" in the Symbol file (.pdb) locations list. Hit OK.
4) Tools --> Options --> Debugging --> General --> I unchecked the 'Enable Just My Code (Managed only)' option.
5) I then started the website I'm building in debug mode on the VS build in web server (so hitting F5 in VS).
The Output window shows on the first line: 'WebDev.WebServer.EXE' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC32\mscorlib\2.0.0.0_b77a5c561934e089\mscorlib.dll', Symbols loaded.
So I thought it will work!
6) I put a breakpoint on for example the DataBind() call of a gridview I have.
7) The debugger hits the breakpoint. I can see the complete callstack.

But when now I try to step into, I get a popup with title: "Find Source: GridView.cs". There's a read only textbox 'Original location' which has its value set on: "f:\RedBits\ndp\fx\src\xsp\System\Web\UI\WebControls\GridView.cs".

When I try to manually browse to the GridView.cs I downloaded I get the following message:
Source file: G:\dotnetcache\redbits\ndp\fx\src\xsp\System\Web\UI\WebControls\GridView.cs
Module: C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC32\System.Web\2.0.0.0_b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Web.dll
Process: 2924 WebDev.WebServer.EXE
The source file is different from when the module was built. Would you like the debugger to use it anyway?

Choosing 'OK' shows me the GridView source with the debugger inside the DataBind() method. Fine... In that method there's "base.DataBind();". Trying to dive into that one, I again get the previous message popup, but then telling me that the source of BaseDataBoundControl.cs is different.

etc... etc...

I would be very happy if you can give me a hint what I'm doing wrong here...

With kind regards,
Manu.
Coordinator
Feb 8, 2008 at 1:16 PM
Well very easy :) Actually i am going prepare 2 videos tonight that explains how to do it proper way :)

goto Options->Debugging-> General and uncheck Require source file to exactly match the original version
Feb 11, 2008 at 7:15 AM
Long question, short answer. :) Unchecking that thing did the trick. Aaah this is almost better then sex man ;)

keremkusmezer wrote:
Well very easy :) Actually i am going prepare 2 videos tonight that explains how to do it proper way :)

goto Options->Debugging-> General and uncheck Require source file to exactly match the original version