This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

There is no source code available for the current location.

Mar 14, 2008 at 3:07 AM
I just installed the latest version of NetMassDownloader and followed all of the instructions for use with VisualStudio 2005. I set the three documented options and turned off the option to debug my code only. I set a breakpoint in my source code on an event of interest. When I hit the breakpoint, the stack trace has lots of entries for which I can verify the source code has been downloaded, but when I double-click any of them, I get the message that is the title of this discussion.

There were 8 pdb files downloaded, something like 123 files skipped and thousands of source files downloaded. I used exactly the same folder names as shown in the documentation.

Does anyone have any suggestions of things that I should check?
Mar 14, 2008 at 9:05 PM
I used ProcessMonitor from SysInternals to determine that all of the framework pdb files were being loaded from the symbol cache. The symbol cache had been previously populated and the files in it did not reference the downloaded framework souce files. Emptying the cache cured the problem.

I hope that this information is useful to someone else.
Coordinator
Mar 23, 2008 at 8:46 PM
Thx for the problem and workaround provided by you.
Mar 26, 2008 at 5:25 PM
I am facing the same issue.
Please can you tell how do you empty the symbol cache?
Coordinator
Mar 27, 2008 at 9:09 AM


j_heller1 wrote:
I am facing the same issue.
Please can you tell how do you empty the symbol cache?


You symbol cache is located under:

HKEYCURRENTUSER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\Debugger\SymbolCacheDir if you are using VS2005
HKEYCURRENTUSER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\Debugger\SymbolCacheDir if you are using VS2008
Mar 27, 2008 at 3:39 PM
Edited Mar 27, 2008 at 3:43 PM
I have deleted the symbol cache and it was re-downloaded. I still face the same issue: I can debug into some .NET code, such as StringBuilder, but not others, such as Form. I think all the ones I can debug into the debug symbols reside in mscorlib.pdb, it seems that is the only one that works. I do have the debug symbol files for the other dlls, such as system.pdb or system.windows.forms.pdb - can you tell me what I need to do to make this work?

Mar 27, 2008 at 5:16 PM
Actually I found that there was files like system.pdb in my Windows/Symbols directory. So I deleted all those.
I still have same result.
Im ny output window I see the message
SRCSRV: Source server cannot retrieve the source code for file 'f:\RedBits\ndp\fx\src\WinForms\Managed\System\WinForms\Form.cs' in module 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GACMSIL\System.Windows.Forms\2.0.0.0_b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll'. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.



j_heller1 wrote:
I have deleted the symbol cache and it was re-downloaded. I still face the same issue: I can debug into some .NET code, such as StringBuilder, but not others, such as Form. I think all the ones I can debug into the debug symbols reside in mscorlib.pdb, it seems that is the only one that works. I do have the debug symbol files for the other dlls, such as system.pdb or system.windows.forms.pdb - can you tell me what I need to do to make this work?



Mar 27, 2008 at 6:52 PM
Problem resolved. I create a new project, it worked to debug into System.Windows.Forms code. Looks like there is something cached in the old project that is preventing me from debugging into some framework code.


j_heller1 wrote:
Actually I found that there was files like system.pdb in my Windows/Symbols directory. So I deleted all those.
I still have same result.
Im ny output window I see the message
SRCSRV: Source server cannot retrieve the source code for file 'f:\RedBits\ndp\fx\src\WinForms\Managed\System\WinForms\Form.cs' in module 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GACMSIL\System.Windows.Forms\2.0.0.0_b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll'. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.



j_heller1 wrote:
I have deleted the symbol cache and it was re-downloaded. I still face the same issue: I can debug into some .NET code, such as StringBuilder, but not others, such as Form. I think all the ones I can debug into the debug symbols reside in mscorlib.pdb, it seems that is the only one that works. I do have the debug symbol files for the other dlls, such as system.pdb or system.windows.forms.pdb - can you tell me what I need to do to make this work?




Mar 28, 2008 at 2:45 PM
Turned out that for the project where it didn't work, it had files in the "Do not look for these source files" list in the solution properties, but I don't know how they got there in first place. When I removed those entries, it worked.



j_heller1 wrote:
Problem resolved. I create a new project, it worked to debug into System.Windows.Forms code. Looks like there is something cached in the old project that is preventing me from debugging into some framework code.


j_heller1 wrote:
Actually I found that there was files like system.pdb in my Windows/Symbols directory. So I deleted all those.
I still have same result.
Im ny output window I see the message
SRCSRV: Source server cannot retrieve the source code for file 'f:\RedBits\ndp\fx\src\WinForms\Managed\System\WinForms\Form.cs' in module 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GACMSIL\System.Windows.Forms\2.0.0.0_b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll'. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.



j_heller1 wrote:
I have deleted the symbol cache and it was re-downloaded. I still face the same issue: I can debug into some .NET code, such as StringBuilder, but not others, such as Form. I think all the ones I can debug into the debug symbols reside in mscorlib.pdb, it seems that is the only one that works. I do have the debug symbol files for the other dlls, such as system.pdb or system.windows.forms.pdb - can you tell me what I need to do to make this work?





Coordinator
Mar 28, 2008 at 3:15 PM
They are added by the visual studio automatically when the source codes cannot be located automatically.
Just check everytime to be sure , if you can't debug a class there.


j_heller1 wrote:
Turned out that for the project where it didn't work, it had files in the "Do not look for these source files" list in the solution properties, but I don't know how they got there in first place. When I removed those entries, it worked.



j_heller1 wrote:
Problem resolved. I create a new project, it worked to debug into System.Windows.Forms code. Looks like there is something cached in the old project that is preventing me from debugging into some framework code.


j_heller1 wrote:
Actually I found that there was files like system.pdb in my Windows/Symbols directory. So I deleted all those.
I still have same result.
Im ny output window I see the message
SRCSRV: Source server cannot retrieve the source code for file 'f:\RedBits\ndp\fx\src\WinForms\Managed\System\WinForms\Form.cs' in module 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GACMSIL\System.Windows.Forms\2.0.0.0_b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll'. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.



j_heller1 wrote:
I have deleted the symbol cache and it was re-downloaded. I still face the same issue: I can debug into some .NET code, such as StringBuilder, but not others, such as Form. I think all the ones I can debug into the debug symbols reside in mscorlib.pdb, it seems that is the only one that works. I do have the debug symbol files for the other dlls, such as system.pdb or system.windows.forms.pdb - can you tell me what I need to do to make this work?