This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

only looks for pdb and sources in microsoft symbol servers path

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:32 PM
Edited Jan 6, 2012 at 7:19 PM

I'm currently attempting to use NetMassDownloader to work around an pdb associated source files download issue described in this post.

it appears that NetMassDownloader only looks for pdb and sources in microsoft symbol servers path and i need it to look in my //symbolsource.org/ area where *.symbols.nupkg are published.

here are the vstudio configuration settings i'm using to enable //symbolsource.org/ published *.symbols.nupkg pdb and associated source file access

1.  vstudio ide | debugging | options and settings | debug | general
a)  enable just my code (Managed Only) = unchecked
b)  enable .net framework source stepping = unchecked
c)  enable source server support = checked
d)  require source files to exactly match the original version = unchecked

2. vstudio ide | debugging | options and settings | debug | symbols
a) symbol file locations = http://nuget.gw.symbolsource.org/Public/NuGet
b) cache symbols in this directory = <path>, e.g. d:\symbolSourceCache
c) only specified modules = selected and for phone project nuget package support configured with “Microsoft.IT.Core.Phone.dll” + “Microsoft.IdentityModel.Phone.dll” and for web project nuget package support configured with “Microsoft.IT.Core.dll” + “Microsoft.IdentityModel.Ex.dll”

3. vstudio ide | <solution> | properties | common properties | debug source files | directories containing source code = <path>, e.g. d:\symbolSourceCache

4. download http://netmassdownloader.codeplex.com/ | cd <solution dir> | for %i in ( Microsoft.IdentityModel.Phone.dll Microsoft.IT.Core.dll ) NetMassDownloader.exe -vsver 10.0 -f <project>\Bin\Debug\%i

Expected = it pulls pdb and sources into my d:\symbolSourceCache folder

Actual = Processed binaries/PDBs : 0  | Files not processed     : 1  |  Downloaded source files : 0

Coordinator
Jan 6, 2012 at 6:09 PM
Well netmassdownload is specific for ms servers i need to investigate thesrvdrc file inside the pdb which is created by the symbol server and change the stbsrc processor accordingly just try the ms debugging tools to solve the issue
Jan 6, 2012 at 7:17 PM

What i was hoping for is that a netmassdownload version could be created that looks at my vs10.0 [ -> vs11.0 ] ide | debugging | options and settings | debug | symbols | symbol file locations settings and attempts to download pdb and sources posted in those locations for the assembly denoted by -f switch or all assemblies found in the -d switch denoted directory.   

This would be super userful for users consuming nuget <package>.nupkg contained assemblies, published on //nuget.org/, where the developer of that work has also published the corresponding <package>.symbols.nupkg output containing pdbs and sources on //symbolsource.org/.

The post mentioned earlier outlines a current gotcha where for packages containing clr assemblies vstudio successfully pulls pdb and sources as needed but for packages containing agclr / sillverlight mobile assemblies vstudio only successfully pulls pdb and not the sources needed to complete the f11 step into debugging support experience.   I was hoping that a version of netmassdownload supporting symbol file locations, and not just the default "Microsoft Symbol Sources" location, could help provide a work around.

Coordinator
Jul 9, 2012 at 11:11 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.